Saturday, December 27, 2014

Reading Goals for 2015

These are sets I intend to finish more so than individual books.

Jonathan Edwards, Works volume 1.  This includes Freedom of the Will, Religious Affections, The End for Which God Created the World and True Virtue.   I am maybe 20% of the way through.

Karl Barth, Church Dogmatics.  I am on volume II.1.   Volume 3 (all four or so volumes) is fairly short and Volume 4 is where he explodes, so it should be interesting reading.

reread Herman Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics volumes 1-3.  I do not have Volume 4.  I should probably get it.

Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae.  I am halfway through the whole thing.

Francis Turretin, Institutes of Elenctic Theology.  I just need to finish volume 3.

Honorable Mention

Geerhardus Vos, Reformed Dogmatics.  I should get this.  I kind of want to get this.  I just don't know if it will happen, price-wise, until it gets cheaper.  

5 comments:

  1. My big reading project for the next while is Terence Irwin's Development of Ethics. Continuing to read and re-read O'Donovan. Next week I will read Finding and Seeking. Also, starting to read Jungel but i'll take my time with him -- I'm undecided whether I want to take the time to try to understand what he's talking about.

    Beyond these I'm also planning on reading Horton's covenant series and vol 2. of Reformed Dogmatics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which O'Donovan works are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently read The Ways of Judgement for the first time and re-read Resurrection and Moral Order, and Self, World and Time. I've also been dipping in and out of The Word in Small Boats.

    As I say, next week I'll read Finding and Seeking and then will try to read The Desire of the Nations. I may then re-read Common Objects and The Thirty Nine Articles.

    There's a few books I've yet to get, Bonds of Imperfection is probably top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you think of Self, World, and Time? That is one of hte few OO books I Haven't read.

      Delete
  4. I liked it. It's a book that's hard to summarise but there's plenty of good stuff in it. He explores different aspects of morality - awareness, thinking, communication, theory - and then moves toward an account of moral theology, finishing on faith, love and hope (which are correlates of self, world and time). The writing in it is quite dense but in a way that's enjoyable to read.

    I think a proper assessment of the book will depend on the series being completed. He does defer some issues in SWT to the next volume.

    Here's a few resources that deal with some of the themes from SWT and, I'm guessing, the future volumes as well:

    http://www.mixcloud.com/Oxford_GCU/tt-2012-week-3-prof-oliver-odonovan-sin-against-the-self/

    http://www.newcollege.unsw.edu.au/sydney/2007-morally-awake (I should have the audio for these, I'll send them to you if you want them)

    http://vimeo.com/24595212

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vtJyVKkhQ

    ReplyDelete